|Sky Quality Meter - L
||"You've got to kick at the brightness 'til it bleeds starlight."
- with apologies to Bruce Cockburn
An affordable meter for measuring sky brightness for astronomers!
The "Sky Quality Meter - L" measures the brightness of the night sky in magnitudes per square arcsecond.
Unprecedented sensitivity in a handheld meter!
Designed by Dr. Doug Welch and Anthony Tekatch
- Find out how good the night or site REALLY is.
- Compare the sky brightness at different sites quantitatively.
- Document the evolution of light pollution in your area.
- Set planetarium dome illumination to mimic the skies people are likely to experience elsewhere in the city.
- Monitor sky brightness through the night, night-to-night, and year-to-year.
- Determine which nights show the greatest promise for finding the 'faintest fuzzies'!
- Calibrate the effect of sky brightness on qualitative measures such as the Bortle Scale.
- Investigate how sky brightness correlates with the solar cycle and month-to-month sunspot activity.
- Help provide local ground truth for future sky brightness prediction with the Clear Sky Clock.
- CCD users can make a correlation between the SQM reading and when the background reaches some ADC level.
- Audible signal while measurement is in progress.
- Sky brightness displayed in visual magnitudes per square arcsecond.
- Infrared blocking filter restricts measurement to visual bandpass.
- Temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit as well as model
number and serial number can be displayed with different button
- Precision readings at even the darkest sites.
- Power-saving features designed in for maximum battery life.
- Reverse battery protection.
- The Half Width Half Maximum (HWHM) of the angular sensitivity is ~10°.
The Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM) is then ~20°.
The sensitivity to a point source ~19° off-axis is a factor of 10 lower than on-axis. A point source ~20° and ~40° off-axis would register 3.0 and 5.0 magnitudes fainter, respectively.
- Operates from 9V battery (included).
- Size 3.6 x 2.6 x 1.1 in. (92 x 67 x 28mm)
- Maximum light sampling time: 80 seconds.
- Specifications are subject to change without notice.
SQM-L tripod adaptor option
This adaptor kit was designed specifically for the SQM-L so that the battery compartment is accessible with the adaptor in place.
The adaptor screws into the back of the SQM-L and allows the meter to be mounted on a tripod with a 1/4-20 thread.
The kit includes one tripod adaptor, 3D-printed plastic,
and two longer screws (to replace two short screws already in the meter).
3D part view
|Buy SQM-L now: ||Price $134.99US plus Shipping & Handling. |